Annadale received its present name circa 1860, and is named after Anna Seguine, a descendant of French Huguenots who were among the South Shore’s earliest settlers. This settlement is also responsible for the neighborhood immediately to the southwest of Annadale being named Huguenot, and the Seguine family also lends its name to Seguine Avenue, the principal north-south thoroughfare on the east side of Prince’s Bay, the neighborhood southwest of Huguenot.
In 1929, immigrants from Spain purchased land along the Annadale shoreline, and founded a settlement that became known as the Spanish Camp, or Spanish Colony. First tents, and later bungalows, were built at the site. The site was purchased and buildings demolished at the end of the 20th century so that several large, upscale homes could be constructed.
Annadale once had abundant woodland, but much of it was cleared in the last three decades of the 20th Century to make room for new homes. However, a city park in the heart of the neighborhood was converted into a wildlife preserve known as Blue Heron Park Preserve. It covers 222 acres, much of it consisting of beautiful plants, ponds, swamps, small streams which empty into nearby Raritan Bay.
Combined with fabulous homes and great schools, this area has become one of the most desirable neighborhoods offering some of the finest luxury real estate in Staten Island. Arbutus Ave and Arbutus Way are lined with multi million dollar mansions and ocean front estates ranging in price from $1,000,000 to $4,000,000.
Located close to Hylan Blvd, this area is an easy commute to Brooklyn and Manhattan and has become a highly sought after neighborhood for affluent residents.